Sunday 29 June 2014

RIP Jory Sherman

With the passing of author, Jory Sherman (81) the western writing community are again mourning the loss of another big name

"I always wrote, but never thought of becoming a professional writer until I spent time in the VA hospital at Ft. Miley, San Francisco. I was a manic-depressive, and this was a special ward with intensive therapy. My psychiatrist asked if he could tape our sessions (3 times a week) and I said okay.I described complex feelings and thought processes that I might do better if I skipped OT (Occupational Therapy) and write. So, they gave me an office, typewriter and paper. I started writing, with no purpose, no plan. There was a writer in our small group. He and the staff flipped out over this raw material. The consensus was that I had the makings of a poet. So, after I left the hospital, I made a decision that I would just write and do any kind of work to allow me this freedom. I studied and wrote, and what emerged was poetry. I have never regretted this decision. I was about 22 or 23 at the time I began writing poetry. " Jory stated several years back in an interview with the wonderful Western Fiction Review.



And become a professional writer he did, penning more than 500 books and over the past decade he has been one of the biggest names in the western genre. Jory took to social media with a vengeance and although had had not unpdated his blog since 2011, due to illness, his Facebook page was updated on a regular basis.

Jory died last week after a long illness...our thoughts are with his family.




   

No comments:

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...