Wednesday 29 June 2011

This'll get everyone talking

Ordinarily I would never buy an album like this-celebrity records are usually nothing more than a novelty , but I kept reading good reviews of this blues album from Hugh Laurie. In the end the prospect intrigued me and after reading yet another five star review, I took the plunge and handed over my cash.

The contradiction of a white middle class man singing these songs that were born out of the struggles of the Southern blacks early in the last century, is not lost on Laurie. I was not born in Alabama in the 1890's, he writes in the sleeve notes. I've never eaten grits, cropped a share or ridden a boxcar. No gypsy woman attended my birth and there's no hellhound on my tail. I am a white, middle class Englishman openly trespassing on the music and myth of the American South.



The amazing thing is that the actor does this all so well and has produced a damn fine blues album. OK his vocal range may be limited but through a shrewd choice of songs and a great backing band he's come up with something quite essential. Opening track, St. James Infirmary, with its fine piano intro, sets the scene for a surprisingly authentic sounding blues set. And I defy anyone not to be moved by his reading of Six Cold Feet - it'll send shivers down your spine.


Below I have embedded a video of Laurie performing Swanee River, which is track 7 on this brilliant little blues album.

Prepare to be amazed.




No comments:

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...