Tuesday 10 November 2009

TONY ROME (1967)

Tony Rome
Directed by Gordon Douglas

Blackmail, lies, murder - It's just another day in paradise.

I've got a large DVD collection - many titles I've bought because I'd heard of the movie, or I liked the look of the blurb or sometimes simply because it was an old movie. I'm a sucker for old films and will often pick up anything I find, figuring I'll watch it one day. This has resulted in me owning a fair few DVD's that I've never as yet watched - And so in the mood to crash with a bottle of wine and a movie I went through my collection. I fancied something light, easy to watch and so I pulled out Tony Rome, a Sinatra movie from 1967 which is on disc as part of the budget priced Studio Classic series. No extra features but a pristine cut of the movie.


The film starts with one of those corny 1960's themes that all of these neo-noir movies seem to possess. This one sung by the Nancy Sinatra is cool in a kitsch kind of way. The movie itself sees Frankie playing Tony Rome, an ex-cop turned PI who lives on a houseboat. He's up to his neck in all kinds of trouble as he searched for a girl's diamond pin. Sinatra play a kind of Bogart character and whilst he can't quite match Bogie's thuggish cool he does do a very good job. I wasn't expecting to like this movie but I must say I enjoyed it immensely. It reminded me of Harper (Interestingly Sinatra lost out in that role to Paul Newman) and other films of that ilk. But it was solidly done with a plot that makes perfect sense.

The movie was successful enough to spawn a follow up, The Lady in Cement which I also have in my collection and will probably get around to viewing soon. The supporting cast is headed up by the lovely Jill St. John who would soon provide the glamour in the Bond movie, Diamonds are forever. Though is this movie she shows far more flesh and the sluttish character she plays here is many miles removed from the dizzy Tiffany Case.


It's actually a neat detective movie and well worth a couple of hours of anybody's time.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I recommend the novels, also by "Tony Rome" but really by Marvin H. Albert.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Bill and enjoyed the novels. (I believe there were three)

But that first poster looks inviting!

Bill Khemski

Abe Lucas said...

I amit that TONY ROME and its 1968 sequel, LADY IN CEMENT are two of my favorite films; we're talking top ten here! I love that they were filmed in my hometown of Miami and the way it looked then was really the tail end of the city's peak period. The rot would set in shortly thereafter; it's a fascinating glimpse into what was.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit that it was nice to see Dan Blocker (Hoss) in "The Lady in Cement." I thought he played a very good and convincing role.

Bill Khemski

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Bill - I've never heard of those novels and will look out for them. I've had the film awhile because I liked the look of it and Sinatra's in it which is usually a plus. I enjoyed it and will watch the follow up soon.
ALL - you guys know the character better than me. I'll review Lady in Cement in time.

Unknown said...

And Gary, while you're looking into Marvin H. Albert's books, check out his westerns for Gold Medal. You won't be disappointed.

Tom said...

This movie was great. Frank was so laid-back in it.

Paul D Brazill said...

top films. good call, Gary.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...