Monday 24 August 2009

TV TORNADO MAY 1967

Unable to put it off any longer I knew I had to tidy up the wardrobe I use to house my magazine and comic collection - there's been a few new additions lately and the entire collection are threatening to topple forward, possibly causing injury or even death if I happen to be underneath them at the time. Death by magazine - pulped to a blob. Anyway realizing that I couldn't avoid it I started and came across this copy of TV TORNADO dated May 6th 1967 and numbered issue 17. I was two years old when this comic came out and I'm not sure where I came across it. It's in excellent condition and was wrapped in protective card so I probably picked it up in a job lot of magazines and have yet to look at it - I'm always doing that.

It was published by City Publications of Fleet Street and printed in Liverpool. It's a TV based comic magazines. There's a great editors page - I learned that Ron Ely was the 15th Tarzan but actually TV's first, and that Johnny Rivers is going to a bigger star than Elvis Presley least that was the opinion of the editor in 1967.


Johnny who????

The first strip is The Saint, based on Roger Moore's then current TV portrayal. The story is called Destination Danger and is complete. This is followed by a text Story (remember when comics had text stories) based on the successful Man From Uncle series. The author isn't credited but the story is called The Broken Arrow Affair.

That's followed by a Tarzan strip and then a Lone Ranger strip and look how young Lesley Crowther is in that Wiz Lolly advert.

The Green Hornet takes up the centre pages and is followed by Flash Gordon and The Phantom. Another text story follows, this one based on The Invaders which was a big TV SCI-FI hit when I was a kid.

The comic round off with another strip story - Magnus Robot Fighter which I've never heard of and assume was an original creation of the magazine. Ahh well, back in the protective covering and into a nice neat wardrobe for it.

5 comments:

Drake said...

I think to be a book,magazine,comic collecter and reader you have to have the uncanny ability to pile them up into towers that seem ready to collapse at any second but don't. I think it's becoming a lost talent, toppling away...so to speak.

Laurie Powers said...

I would love to read that. I remember being stuck on those types of mags when I was a kid, especially when I was living in England.

Richard Prosch said...

I actually knew a guy who, in effect, was killed by his comic/book/magazine collection. He died in bed, from smoke inhalation as all that paper went up around him in flames. The fire dept. said the blaze was caused by an old faulty television cord that was plugged in, but smashed into the carpet under several boxes of books.

Anonymous said...

Cool magazine - they don't make em like that no more

Loyd Jenkins said...

You're lucky. My wife won't let me make my piles high anymore.

Magnus Robot Fighter was a series here in the States. It was some of my first reading material. According to a fan site, the TV Tornado stories were never published anywhere else.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...