Thursday 4 June 2009

100 BEST WESTERNS - NOT!


THE WESTERN WRITERS OF AMERICA, a non-profit organisation set up in the 1950's to promote the work of western writers everywhere. The membership is made up of over six hundred professional writers and last year they polled their members for the movies they consider the best ever. This month True West Magazine published the list and whilst all lists of this nature are bound to be contentious there do seem to be some off choices in the WMA 100 Best Western Movies of all time.

At the top spot we have Shane which would not be my choice for the best western ever, though I would most certainly place it in the top ten. My own choice for number one is The Searchers which comes in at number three, below High Noon and Shane. OK the merits between Shane and The Searchers can be argued but there's no way that High Noon is a better movie than The Searchers.

At positions four and five are Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and Dances with Wolves - both fine movie but better than The Wild Bunch, which comes in at number 6 and Red River at 7. I think not.

The highest rated Eastwood western is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly at number 12 - the Unforgiven clocks in at number 16 while the Outlaw Josey Wales is at number 18. The fact that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is higher rated than Unforgiven is arguable and to be honest I sometimes feel that way myself. But each of these three movies should be higher up the list. They are certainly better westerns than Open Range at number 1o.

One particular absurdity is that the original 3-10 to Yuma comes in at 32 while the inferior re-make is rated at 23. I mean opinions differ but that's insane. The re-make was a good solid western but I wouldn't put it in the top 50 while the original certainly deserves a better placing.

The list also includes modern westerns - No Country for Old Men, The Misfits and Hud - the inclusion of these films has angered some fans but whilst I'm OK with including contemporary west movies I do find it absurd that they've ignored Cogan's Bluff which is far more deserving to be called a western.

The full list is posted below - what do you think?

The WMA are now polling for the best western TV series - it seems a certain thing that their bizarre choices will probably include The Dukes of Hazard and Little House on the Prairie.


WWA Top 100 Westerns
 
    1. Shane
    2. High Noon
    3. The Searchers
    4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    5. Dances with Wolves
    6. The Wild Bunch
    7. Red River
    8. Tombstone
    9. The Magnificent Seven
    10. Open Range
 
    11. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    12. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    13. True Grit
    14. The Shootist
    15. Stagecoach (1939)
    16. Unforgiven
    17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    18. The Outlaw Josey Wales
    19. Ride the High Country
    20. Jeremiah Johnson
 
    21. The Cowboys
    22. My Darling Clementine
    23. 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
    24. Rio Bravo
    25. The Ox-Bow Incident
    26. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    27. Lonely are the Brave
    28. Will Penny
    29. Hud
    30. Winchester '73
 
    31. Little Big Man
    32. 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
    33. The Grey Fox
    34. The Alamo (1960)
    35. Silverado
    36. Ulzana's Raid
    37. Once upon a Time in the West
    38. Rio Grande
    39. The Rounders
    40. The Big Country
 
    41. The Hi-Lo Country
    42. Duel in the Sun
    43. Fort Apache
    44. The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
    45. The Last Picture Show
    46. The Grapes of Wrath
    47. Bad Day at Black Rock
    48. The Long Riders
    49. The Tall T
    50. Cat Ballou
 
    51. Tumbleweeds
    52. The Iron Horse
    53. Man of the West
    54. Seven Men from Now
    55. The Big Trail
    56. Three Godfathers
    57. Hell's Hinges
    58. The Wind (1928)
    59. The Westerner
    60. Support Your Local Sheriff
 
    61. They Died with Their Boots On
    62. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
    63. The Professionals
    64. The Cheyenne Social Club
    65. El Dorado
    66. Thunderheart
    67. The Virginian (1929)
    68. A Man Called Horse
    69. Hombre
    70. Barbarosa
 
    71. Chisum
    72. The Big Sky
    73. Young Guns
    74. Destry Rides Again
    75. Junior Bonner
    76. Angel and the Badman
    77. Warlock
    78. The Misfits
    79. No Country for Old Men
    80. Monte Walsh
 
    81. Four Faces West
    82. The Naked Spur
    83. The Gunfighter
    84. High Plains Drifter
    85. Devil's Doorway
    86. Law and Order (1932)
    87. Coroner Creek
    88. Valdez is Coming
    89. Hondo
    90. The Man from Laramie
 
    91. The Unforgiven (1960)
    92. Broken Arrow
    93. Bend of the River
    94. Giant
    95. Blazing Saddles
    96. The Culpepper Cattle Company
    97. Three Bad Men
    98. Pursued
    99. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
    100. The Great Train Robbery (1903)



22 comments:

I.J. Parnham said...

Opinions are like arses, we've all got one, but Once Upon A time in the West at 37, 3 places behing the interminable Alamo?

Ray said...

And a list with a number of absences.

Matthew P. Mayo said...

But it is a list that's generating discussion--as was the intention.

I have a few quibbles with it myself. Not enough B-Westerns for my blood.

Cheers,
Matt

G. B. Miller said...

I'm not sure about "No Country For Old Men" could qualify as a western.

While the locale was Texas, it was definitely not a western (at least in my opinion). I think it was more of character piece (like Pulp Fiction) that happened to be set in the west, than a western.

Calling that one a western is like calling "Hoosiers" a chick flick.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

As Mathew says the point of this list is to provoke debate but I have to agree with Ian - Wayne's Alamo is a plodding western while Once Upon a Time in the West is a classic - I think THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY is better than Once Upon a Time but they are both better than The Alamo. It's rating the remake of 3.10 to Yuma above the orignal that got me.

hcb said...

I have a piece in last month's True West on the WWA's 100 best Westerns list. It's still up if you go to their website --twmag.com-- and find Movies in the menu and click on Westerns.

hcb said...

I have a piece in last month's True West on the WWA's 100 best Westerns list. Go to twmag.com and click on movies/westerns. There's a lovely shot of Jane Russell who broke out in an interesting Western.

Chris said...

Tombstone at 8 drives me crazy, especially when it was influenced by many that come after it on the list. It was a lot of fun, but better than Unforgiven or The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly? Are you kidding me?

These lists are simultaneously a lot of fun and tremendously aggravating. (:

Dominic Fox said...

Although the ending to 3:10 to Yuma made no sense it would be in our top twenty.Not that we're dissing the original but the new version appeals to our generation.
We would have rated that film higher if the Russell Crowe version kept to the original ending.
Films that we think should've made the list include One-Eyed Jacks, Hombre, Vera Cruz and Last Train From Gun Hill.

Paul Colt said...

Great comments all. As a WWA member who voted on the list, I won't defend the final outcome except to say it comes from a diverse group in age and experience. BTW: For me, the last few few seconds of the new 3:10 to Yuma was a classic throwback to the old B/W 'B' Oaters.

mybillcrider said...

My comment on this list at the time of its publication was that no list without RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY in the top 10 could be considered legit. I still fell that way.

mybillcrider said...

Or feel that way. Take your pick.

Laurie Powers said...

Another bit of bizarreness is that True Grit ended up higher than the 1939 Stagecoach. Please.

Writing For My Life said...

All missing:
Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid
Missouri Breaks
One-Eyed Jacks
The Ballad of Cable Hogue

Also, I'd have the Searchers at number 1 and My Darling Clementine Higher. And I don't think I noticed The Westerner on there (the one with Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean). If it's not then it should be (especially since some of these films aren't really westerns at all).

Chris said...

The more I think of it, I can't believe Tombstone is 8. The fact that it cracked the Top 50 is beyond me.

Fred Blosser said...

Wow, this is really a bizarre list without much apparent rhyme or reason. HI-LO COUNTRY (great novel, mediocre movie at best) rated higher than the Budd Boetticher and Anthony Mann films? THE COWBOYS better than SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON? It's a stretch to call HUD, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, GIANT, and THE LAST PICTURE SHOW "westerns" by most reasonable criteria. It looks like somebody just put a bunch of titles in a hat and listed the first 100 they pulled out. Sadly, there are many well-made western movies from the '40s and '50s that should be better known and more highly regarded than they are.

Laurie Powers said...

Don't get me wrong. I myself like reading these lists because I use them as a handy check-off to make sure there aren't any that I've not seen. Now that my memory is completely shot, I need lists for everything.

Chris said...

LOL, Laurie! I use these lists in the same way!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Like Chris I wouldn't have put TOMBSTONE so high but I would defend it in the fact that it's a bloody good western.

Charles Gramlich said...

Hum, I'm afraid my list would be very different. I agree with I. J. Once upon a time in the west should be much further up.

Kerby Jackson said...

Wow! What were they thinking?

My opinion is like a lot of others here in that "The Searchers" should be #1. I also think that "The Shootist", "The Cowboys"
and "Rio Bravo" should be higher. Also some of the Eastwood vehicles like "High Plains Drifter" rank much lower than they should.

The re-make for "3:10 to Yuma" shouldn't even be on this list, let alone rank above the original. What's up with that?

And since when was "Last of the Mohicans" considered a western? May as well throw "The Patriot" in there with it.

http://old-west.blogspot.com/

Kerby Jackson.com

Tom Jeier said...

Remember this list was put together mostly by Americans. No wonder "Once Upon A Time In The West" isn't rated higher - or "High Plains Drifter" for that matter. My Number Ones are "The Searchers" and "My Darling Clementine".

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...