Friday 6 February 2009

MORE WESTERN NEWS



It's a particular delight to publish this news.

I have just sold my second western under the Jack Martin name to Robert Hale LTD for their Black Horse Western imprint. There's usually a year's lead time so expect the first in the chronicles of Arkansas Smith during early 2010 - Tarnished Star comes in June.

This book was harder than most - originally it was turned down for publication and when I looked at it I realised that it had no heart, was too brutal and dealt with difficult themes in a way that was, perhaps not satisfactory.

I decided to re-write as the character of Arkansas Smith was real to me and I see a series built around him. And so I managed to salvage ten pages of the original story - the rest is brand new. It still retains the theme and feel of the original novel but now it's hopefully stronger, there's far more flesh on the bones.

Anyway Arkansas Smith will be out there before you know it and I hope you take the character to your hearts. He's a good man in a bad time.
**********************************************************************************

18 comments:

Ray said...

Well done - no stopping you now.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Thanks Ray - Great timing too. Being able to break the news during the build up to Wild West Monday.

Matthew P. Mayo said...

Gary,
Fantastic news. Keep that train a-rollin'!

Cheers,
Matt

mybillcrider said...

Congratulations!

James Reasoner said...

Heartiest congratulations, Gary!

Cullen Gallagher said...

Yeah! Thanks for sharing the good news. Many congratulations.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool, that is very good. I'll certainly enjoy reading about Arkansas Smith. I do believe he's a cousin of Arkansas slim.

Steve M said...

Great news Gary - I'm looking forward to reading your books.

Jo Walpole said...

Hooray for you. :-) Proof that you put the work in, you reap the rewards. Well done.
Jo

Paul D Brazill said...

Congrats Gary!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Charles - I believe they are related yes but Arkansas Slim has the coolest coat.

STEVE M - I anticipate the first Jack Martin review on Western Fiction Review.

Everyone - thanks for the well wishes and I do hope you enjoy the books when they hit the shelves.

Keep the faith.

Scott D. Parker said...

Congrats! I couldn't help but notice that you re-wrote all but 10 pages of your book. I've seriously thought about re-focusing my first book in an attempt to see if it can't be tweaked.

BTW, the local library here in Houston has only 4 Black Horse Westerns, the first of which, Tin Star Trio, I pick up today.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Scott - hope you enjoy the Black Horse Westerns. And get in an order at your library for Tarnished Star in June.

RE -YOUR NOVEL - I think you have to be brutal in the re-write and not think of all the work you are discarding but in creating the best story you can.

Steve M said...

You could be right Gary :)

Shauna Roberts said...

Great news! Congratulations! Sounds as if you've got a career rolling now.

Barbara Martin said...

Congratulations on your book deal! I'm looking forward to reading it.

David Cranmer said...

Excellent news and success couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congrats!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Thanks David - course Beat to a Pulp had the Jack Martin publication debut. That's special to me.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...