Wednesday 4 February 2009

10 westerns you must read - TWO


True Grit
Charles Portis
Originally published 1968

Unlike the film, the novel is bookended by scenes of Mattie as an old woman telling the story of the time she rode with Rooster Cogburn to avenge her father's death. And like my previous book choice, Shane it is the narrator's voice that makes this such a wonderfully entertaining read.

The main difference between film and book is that the film is about Rooster Cogburn while the book is about Mattie and it is she who the title eludes to.

Many people who disliked John Wayne's politics may not have discovered this novel because of that fact but they are missing out. The period detail is wonderful and the story, although standard western fare, is brilliantly plotted and told. But what makes this such a special book is Mattie's monologues - her rant on pigs with evil intent in their hearts, and the sins of strong liquor, are worth the cover price alone.

Another of those genre benchmarks that must be read.

WILD WEST MONDAY UPDATE: Thomas Nash, John Wayne impersonator from Pontypridd.

"I'll be going into W. H. Smith in full costume and tell them, get some westerns, pilgrim. Either that or fill your hand."

13 comments:

Jo Walpole said...

Hi Gary
This (in the film version since I haven't read the book) is one of my all time favourites and I have to call you on one thing you've said. I always thought the title True Grit was applied to Mattie's character and so the story was hers not Cogburn's (however in the film Cogburn had to be central because JW was a star and Kim Darby wasn't). Just an observation.
Jo

Juri said...

Seconded. A truly wonderful book.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Yeah Joe you're right I suppose but there are lines in the movie where it's said - Cogburn has true grit. The movie is brilliant though - it's in my list of the ten essentail films.

Scott D. Parker said...

George Pelecanos considers this book one of the best westerns ever. Good enough for me. I read this and, since I had never seen the movie all the way through, I didn't know how the story ended. As good as Wayne is--and I, of course, saw him in my head during the reading--I think I liked the Mattie-focus of the book better. Loved the movie, don't get me wrong. I just liked old Mattie telling the story.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've seen the movie, of course, but I don't believe I've ever read the book

Fred Blosser said...

TRUE GRIT is a charmer. Although the movie stands very well on its own, one would miss some prime material by only watching the movie and not reading the book. For example, Mattie's comments about Cole Younger and Frank James when, later in life, she meets the two elderly ex-outlaws. ROOSTER COGBURN was an uninspired movie sequel. There was also a TV-movie sequel in the late '70s with Warren Oates as Rooster. I never saw it, but the info on IMDB suggests that it wasn't very good either.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Fred - I saw the WARREN OATES one on TV a few times over the years. It's okay but not a patch on the other two. Though Rooster Cogburn, the Wayne sequal to True Grit reminds me of The African Queen in a lot of ways.

Fred Blosser said...

That was a problem, to my mind. It looked like somebody had the idea of doing a sequel by replacing the young woman with an old one, and having done that, decided they'd just redo THE AFRICAN QUEEN rather than come up with a fresh idea. I should watch it again, though. By the way, the 10 Westerns thread is a wonderful idea.

Anonymous said...

this book has been sitting on my shelf for awhile always mean to cover it

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Fred - Rooster works because of the chemistry between the two leads. I don't think it's half as successful as True Grit but it's still very watchable. The Warran Oates version I've not seen for a great many years but I remember not liking it that much. For any actor to try and play the Duke's character is a mistake. Wayne, whilst maybe not the best technical actor could pull of character roles in a way that was unique.

Unknown said...

Great book, but then I like very single one of Portis' novels. Too bad he never wrote another western.

Fred Blosser said...

Wonder how many people remember that Robert Duvall played Lucky Ned Pepper, and Dennis Hopper played Moon, whom Cogburn and company corner with his partner in the cabin.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Robert Duvall was superb in this one. I rewatched the movie earlier today and it's as good as ever.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...