Thursday 11 December 2008

Browsing the pages


It's that time of month again when I get my beloved American imports from my local Borders.There really are no UK magazine/books that come close to Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchie.

Ellery Queen cover dated Jan 2009 comes with the usual high quality pulp era style cover illustration. The image is by H.J. Ward and comes from 1938 - it is credited to the collection of Robert Lesser.

The fiction inside is led by The Killer Christian by Andrew Klaven, an author hailed by Stephen King as the most original American author of crime fiction since Cornell Woolrich. The story here is perfect for the festive season. Several other stories also use a festive setting and although I've not read them all yet I'm not expecting any turkeys. Seldom does Ellery Queen offer poor stories.

There are the usual book reviews and of course Bill Crider's look at the interweb. I do wish this part of the feature was extended and I hold my breath for Tainted Archive to be featured.

Alfred Hitchcock is a double issue dated Jan/Feb and comes with an American Gothic style cover from Jorge Mascarenhas. The lead story is Nothing is Easy by Jas. R. Petrin and this is supported by 13 other pieces of fiction. The book and film reviews are upto the high standard expected and there's an interesting feature looking at the US version of Life On Mars.

Fantasy and Science Fiction is cover dated Oct/Nov and features cover art by Max Bertolini. I don't usually pick this magazine up as I would consider myself only casually interested in the SF genre, but the inclusion of a Stephen King story tempted me.

The book features three short novels as well as nine short stories and a poem. Add to that book, film reviews and genre articles and you have great bang for the buck. I've actually enjoyed several of the stories in this issue and think I'll pick it up again next issue.

7 comments:

mybillcrider said...

I write the columns so far ahead that it'll be a while, but I can tell you to be looking for your mention in the June issue.

Chris said...

These short stories sound good. Thanks for sharing--I'll take a look at one of these next time I'm in my local borders.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Bill - Thanks for that. I feel as if I've arrived. LOL. All jokes aside though - it's a great section of the mag and I've discovered many great blogs and sites from it.

Scott D. Parker said...

I'll admit I read two things first whenever I picked up EQMM: the TOC and Bill's column.

Yeah, when you get published in EQMM, you have arrived. Good luck.

mybillcrider said...

You'll "arrive" in the March issue, Scott. I think that's the one.

Scott D. Parker said...

Well, that just made my day. Thanks, Bill! I'd better make sure the posts around March are better than normal.

Martin Edwards said...

EQMM is a wonderful publication. I only wish it were better known in Britain.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...