Monday 17 November 2008

THE WILD AND WEIRD WEST


The Wild Wild West was a curious TV western - it ran for four seasons and was developed at a time when westerns were losing ground and the spy craze was in full swing. The shows creator Michael Garrison pitched the show to the studio as James Bond on horseback. It also became a big screen movie in 1999 with Will Smith but the less said about that the better.


The show had a cartoon opening - embedded here - and the main character in the titles looks more like Clint Eastwood than and of the actors in the actual series. The comic is reproduced below the opening title video. So settle back and read these stories from years long gone, laugh at the corny jokes kids used to send into the letters page and thrill at the four colour action.
**********************************************************************************



**********************************************************************************
The comic book reproduced here comes from summer 1968 and is number issue 3. As was usual for this period neither the artists or writers are credited.

The inside back cover contains a company advertisement with the Golden Song which I'm reliably informed was used in the company's Saturday morning cinema adverts.

There is a review of the TV series, season one DVD set on the Pulp Writer blog.

6 comments:

Chris said...

I like the official mascot of Golden Magazine--a crazy-looking parrot named "Cracky."

Also, the "Chuckles" bit on the previous page was good for a few laughs.

David Cranmer said...

Gary, I'm three episodes into season one of the show right now. As I mentioned in my post on Saturday, I'm not sure how long my wife can hang on watching it, but so far I'm having a blast. The third episode featuring Dr. Loveless was great. Thanks for posting the comics.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Dan - I don't think this is available on region 2 - that always annoys me. I'm salivating over the Lone Ranger DVD set but that's only on region 1 too. Think I might relocate to the states for my old age.

Charles Gramlich said...

I really enjoyed the cartoon sequences in "Wild Wild West. The character certainly did look more like Clint. I'll have to come back and read all these when I have more time.

Ray said...

Gary - may I suggest that you buy a multi-region DVD player? There is a lot of movies out there that are Region 1 only - though some are on region 2 but you have to send of to Germany, Spain and Holland for the imports.

And thanks for showing all these old comics - it's fun re-reading some of them again.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Ray - yeah I'm reluctant to buy too many region 1 discs because I worry about not being able to get a region 1 player in the future. One of my PC's will actually play region one.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...