Friday 24 October 2008

Writing aids.

When writing I was wondering how many people use a visual aid to help with description etc? Using paintings or posters to help in the descriptions of far off locales, perhaps or pictures of movie stars to base characters appearances around. The little fellow pictured may look like a toy cowboy but to me he personifies Arkansas Smith; the lead character in my new western novel.


I'm currently polishing the book in preparation for sending it off to my publisher late next week.


He stands atop my PC tower upon my desk and whenever I'm stuck on a section I gaze at him and start day dreaming. I've also used his appearance in describing the main character and no longer is he a toy I've had for years and years but now he is Arkansas Smith. He stands there, Colts pointing towards me, threatening to shoot should I remove my fingers from the keyboard before the day's quota of words are produced.

It really does help so I was wondering what, if any, other aids writers use to free the imagination? Do you have a lucky charm that you couldn't compose without? Do you have a routine that has to be just right before writing a word? For me it's several cigars lined up next to my desk, a gallon of coffee and old Arkansas Smith stood in his usual place.

4 comments:

Barrie said...

Okay. Well, my routine at home is really really boring. I like to have my kitchen and at least one bathroom cleaned before I start writing. I told you--boring. I do love to actually write at the setting of the scene. Not always possible, though.

Charles Gramlich said...

I hardly ever use any visual prompts at all. I might look at woods or lakes or sunsets when I'm describing them, but I don't do this for characters or houses or typically for landscapes.

Anonymous said...

Gary,

Perhaps it would be interesting to put this question up on the Black Horse Western website. I'm sure you would get lots of fascinating replies and I would be interested too.

Andrea

Ray said...

Writing aids?
Music - lots and lots of music. Need a soundtrack.
Widescreen imagination - if I can't see it or hear it I don't write it.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...