Tuesday 21 October 2008

ROGER MOORE: MY WORD IS MY BOND


ROGER MOORE
MY WORD IS MY BOND
Omara Books £18.99

This book has outsold Sean Connery's recently released title by three to one and it's no surprise. Where Sean's autobiography is more about Scotland and what Sean thinks it could be, Roger's is a superb, witty, showbiz autobiography from the screen legend who, in my opinion, is unfairly maligned as a poor actor with limited range.

But before I go on with the review, let me tell you a silly story. I'm not sure if it's true or not. My father told me this when I was a kid and still swears its true. Mind you, it would be in keeping with Dad's sense of humour if it does turn out to be bollocks.

As a kid I was a huge Roger Moore fan (this was in the days before Bond) and I never missed the Persuaders or the Saint. My dad explained my fascination with he of the versatile eyebrow by telling me that, - when I was a baby we were in a supermarket and I spat my dummy out. Now the well known TV actor Roger Moore was there (he has Welsh connections) and he picked my dummy up and put it back in my mouth which was a rather saintly thing to do. That's my claim to fame - James Bond put my dummy back in my mouth! As I say I suspect the story is a joke by my Dad but it's nice to think it could be true.

Upon reading this book I was surprised to see Roger state that he did his one and only stand up comedy gig in Pontypridd which is where I live now and is less than half a hour away from the village of Gilfach Goch which is where I was brought up. And of course he also married Dorothy Squires who was a Welsh girl with Rhondda connections. So it could be possible that the dummy tale is not as far fetched as it sounds.

But onto the book - it details Roger's early years - his birth, childhood evacuation and then goes onto cover his early acting career as a film/TV extra which is something I have in common with Roger but where I merely progressed to a bit part/walk on actor Roger went onto become a world famous superstar.

There are lots of amusing stories told in Roger's trademark style and the sections covering his Bond tenure are particularly interesting as is the story of how the actor became involved in UNICEF which is still a big part of his life. The book is illustrated with some wonderful photographs and I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed this book and think it was twenty quid well spent.


In related news the first advance reviews of the new Bond film have appeared online and it's not good news - I feared this film would fall short of expectation as. I myself, have never been happy with Daniel Craig's casting - he's a superb actor but he's not 007.

Below is a section of the MSN review:

Others include why Gemma Arterton has so little to do as Bond’s sultry MI6 contact in Bolivia, what Jack White and Alicia Keys were ingesting when they came up with the risible theme tune and when, if ever, we will get to see Q and Moneypenny again. At least the action’s up to snuff, Bourne stunt co-ordinator Dan Bradley delivering an awesome pre-credits car chase, a terrific aerial dogfight and a cracking boat sequence alongside some effectively brutal fisticuffs.
Craig might not be the finished article as James, but his thoughtful, rather melancholy portrayal continues to find fascinating new shadings in a character he will surely have further opportunity to explore. Like Timothy Dalton before him, however, his take on the role automatically precludes the kind of playful levity that has always been a vital part of a 007 flick’s make-up. Quantum of Solace delivers thrills, drama and glamour in Bondian spades. Is it too much to ask, though, for a couple of gags?
three
This polished follow-up ticks all the right boxes mayhem-wise. Shame the film as a whole is such a downer.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Roger Moore was "my" Bond as well. And I've never watched many of the shows with the later bonds. I might find this book interesting reading. Moore always had a nice sense of humor.

Barrie said...

I've always like Roger Moore too.

Anonymous said...

He wasn't my favourite Bond, but I do think he's underrated as an actor. Also a very likeable chap, several people have told me...

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...