Wednesday 15 October 2008

BEST OF 2000AD


The Best of 2000ad
Prion Books
£20.00

An handsome 390 page book collecting together classic strips from the SF comic's early years. The list of contents is impressive - Invasion 1999, Dredd, Judge Death, Flesh, Slaine, Harlem Heroes, Mach 1, Terror Tube, Shako, Bad Company, Mean Arena, Rogue Trooper, ABC Warriors, Halo Jones, Robo Cop and both Future Shocks and Time Twisters.

As someone who read the comic from 1977 up to the mid eighties I was delighted with this book. I don't really like the modern day 2000AD (though I do still sometimes read the Judge Dredd Megazine ((sic)) ) but these classic strips will always have a special place in my heart. The book is well put together too and looks an impressive volume on the shelf.


The book is obviously aimed at the nostalgia market and anyone who remembers 2000AD when it was still the best comic around will love this book.

I'd like to see further volumes along these lines. I'm still particularly found of the early strip Flesh, of which several instalments are collected here but I'd love to see the entire strip released as a graphic novel. Some of the more well known strips are already available as collections and Dredd is being published in its entirety but early classics like Flesh, Shalko and Harlem Heroes are largely ignored. Also Robo Cop, a cross between Raymond Chandler and Blade Runner is a particular favourite of mine.

One disappointment was that it doesn't feature the 2000AD version of Dan Dare but then I suspect that was a rights issue. On the comic's original launch Dan Dare was the flagship character, Dredd didn't pop up until the second issue and would take some time to become the iconic character he is today. I'd like to see that early post-modern Dan Dare story that, if I remember correctly, was the colour strip that took the centre pages. In UK comics of that period the centre pages meant TOP OF THE BILL.

I hope this sells well and encourages more of the same.


What would really be nice would be a monthly magazine reprinting classics comic strips from the likes of 2000AD, Battle, Eagle, Tiger etc. Imagine a magazine featuring Judge Dredd, Johnny Red, Billy's Boots, The Sarge, Charley's War, Harlem Heroes, Dan Dare and maybe even Roy of the Rovers. As well as the strips there could be features of football teams, rock bands, cars, films of bygone years - Now I'd buy that.


I guess I'm just a nostalgia nut but I can't be the only one...

6 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I'm just finishing Best Crime Comics and this looks like an excellent place to continue my graphic novel/comics kick I'm on. Some of my best reading this year has been in this genre.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I noticed a best horror comics yesterday - think it might be in the same series as that best crime comics. Think I'll go back to the shop and get it later.

David Cranmer said...

Yes, the full title is The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics and they have like fifty in the series including Horror, Best New SF and Best British Mysteries.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I'll definitely be buying that later today and will review it shortly.

David Cranmer said...

I have it reviewed myself and sitting in my Blogger scheduled to post one of these days... Btw I like the new look to your page.

Charles Gramlich said...

I used to read the comic pages religiously but haven't been able to keep up in years. When I do buy comic stuff I get the comilations.

VAPING IS SAFER THAN BREATHING

 The UK's new tax on vaping which will come into force in 2026 is not only immoral but patently insane, and will hit those reformed smok...